Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Progress

Today I broke my rule and went to Starbucks. My tooth hurts still. I have sore throat. There is a mountain of laundry. And Emmi? Well, she is bored out of her mind with Jill out of town for two more days. I needed coffee to keep up with her. So off we went.

The barista took my order, and then looked to Emmi. "What would you like?"

"Coffee," Emmi clearly replied, immediately provoking giggles from myself and the barista. I stepped in changing her order to a children's hot chocolate, but the floodgates of conversation had been opened when the barista was amused by her answer of coffee. The barista asked her name and age. Emmi told her about her birthday and her party. I kept stepping in to translate, to clarify what she was saying.

But the thing is. The woman understood her. Without my help. That has never happened before.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you're saying and what you're feeling. We're seeing unprecedented progress here as well. Isn't it AWESOME?!

Sheri said...

That is AWESOME! You know, I noticed how much clearer she was speaking at her party, too. She has come so far. ((((HUGS))))

Furry Bottoms said...

I am really impressed with the leaps and bounds that Emmi is making! :)